Friday, June 19, 2009

Right, so now that I can lift my self-imposed ban on plant-buying, time for a Picture Post!

The whole thing is kind of a jungle. I haven't been devoting enough time to it lately. Next year, by god, there will be mulch!!!

FRONT YARD

Not a lot has changed here, except for the daisies and the magnolia in the foreground. The daisies were an experiment - I spotted the foliage in the lawn and figured I'd mow around them to find out what they'd turn into. I suspect they are of the perniciously invasive variety, but they are very pretty.

Photobucket


Also possibly pernicious but pretty: the laughably inaccurately named obedience plant. I had a stand of these at Jamieson and was warned that they were a weed, but my repeated attempts to dig them out were in vain.

Photobucket


BACK YARD

Well, there's certainly been progress back here since this time last month!

Below are a few images looking around the back half of the yard. (The other half is such a disaster I'm not even going to photograph it. I probably won't even touch it till next year.) Too bad I forgot to get a picture of the spirea in full bloom, it was gorgeous. Yesterday's rain has mostly dispersed the blanket of poplar fluff that fell back here from the neighbour's tree - it was sitting on the ground in snow-like drifts. The rain was, however, too late to save a chunk of the patio thyme, which I probably should have been watering. Dammit. I'll buy another potful and try again. I'm scheming a surprisingly affordable Lee Valley irrigation system back here, so hopefully I can get that set up on the weekend and things will be less parched from then on.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Here's a closer view of the sunny bed so far.

Photobucket


Monster alliums in bloom - AWESOME, I think I need more of these:

Photobucket


And revenant hydrangeas of insanity. I cut these fuckers down to the ground this spring, and here they are, back again, 3' tall and going strong. The one next to the house, which I didn't get around to pruning, is even threatening to bloom already.

Photobucket


Garden tasks
* Weeding: front yard, in front of spirea, borders of beds, beside house
* Calculate gph of faucet and plot out irrigation system, snap up components from Lee Valley, and set up
* Collect all the yard waste
* Get leftover stone into a pile and brainstorm some ideas of what to do with it
* Mow the patch of grass beside the shed, which has almost buried the pile of roots I left there
* Take Ed Lawrence's sneaky soap and water treatment to the honeysuckle, which is being snacked on by something

No comments:

Post a Comment