Monday, May 3, 2010

How appropriate that "Dans un jardin" is a perfume shop

As I type I am lounging on the couch with the windows wide open, basking in the smell of flowers. I think it's the purple-leaf sandcherry that is so deliciously perfumey at the moment, but there are a number of other similarly fragrant things lining the street, so I think it's just that time of year. LOVE IT.

For instance, there are some white-flowering shrubby trees edging the park near our house that smell heavenly. A neighbour identified them as chokecherries. Alas, I don't think I really have room for one of those, although it's probably worth checking with the native plant nurseries around town to see if they can't be pruned to keep a certain size.

I would really like to get something large and flowery to go at the back of the new shade bed, but most of the flowering trees or large shrubs that I love (flowering almond or quince for example) need lots of sun. Mockorange may be a go, though, if I can find the right variety, and it is reputed to be deliciously smelly, too. I hear that "Blizzard" has good shade tolerance, but can't find it on any nursery websites, possibly because its main claim to fame is cold tolerance past zone 3.



I am toying with the idea of adding a pile of daffodils to the front garden next year as well - Breck's has a mix of specially fragrant ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment