Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I have been enchanted a few times this spring by the presence of this lovely visitor, who chilled obligingly in the hydrangeas while I ran and got my camera:

Photobucket

Today I ran into a passerby taking some pictures of flowers in the front border, and she pointed out this critter in the rue:

Photobucket

Upon closer inspection there were at least half a dozen of them munching away in there.  A bit of googling reveals that (a) these are the caterpillars of the lovely visitor above, namely an old world swallowtail, and (b) they looooove rue.  Who knew??  I bought the stuff because I liked the foliage.  Not sure whether the butterfly's presence explains the caterpillars or the other way around, but either way, I think I need a couple more of those plants!

No comments:

Post a Comment